[openstack-dev] [nova] Vendordata improvements

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Wed Jun 22 13:13:15 UTC 2016

On 06/22/2016 09:03 AM, Matt Riedemann wrote:
> On 6/21/2016 12:53 AM, Michael Still wrote:
>> So, https://review.openstack.org/#/c/317739 is basically done I think.
>> I'm after people's thoughts on:
>>
>>  - I need to do some more things, as described in the commit message.
>> Are we ok with them being in later patches to get reviews moving on this?
>
> I'd be OK with caching/performance improvements in subsequent changes.
> Docs on this are going to be important to land, so they could be
> separate but if this is going to get into Newton I'd want the docs to be
> in Newton also.
>

>>  - I'm unsure what level of tempest testing makes sense here. How much
>> would you like to see? Do we need to add a vendordata REST service to
>> devstack? That might be complicated in the amount of time available...
>
> I don't think Tempest tests anything from the metadata API service. We
> only have that running in a handful of jobs (the postgres job is the
> main one). We could probably write a test though that ssh's into a guest
> and then pulls the data from the metadata service. I'm not sure what
> you'd populate into the dynamic vendor data endpoint though, maybe just
> test data in devstack?
>
> I think we should have functional tests in the Nova tree for this at
> least - how feasible would that be? In other words, would we have to
> stub out stuff to the point that it would be a useless test in nova's
> functional test tree?

I'm pretty sure this could be tested reasonably well in Nova's
functional test tree. You could have a real md server, and data behind
it. The only stubbing would be the access path because you'll be hitting
it from localhost instead of a server ip. But that shouldn't invalidate
it too substantially.

	-Sean

>> Michael
>>
>> --