[openstack-dev] [all] Proposal: Architecture Working Group

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Tue Jun 21 18:05:12 UTC 2016

Excerpts from Ian Cordasco's message of 2016-06-21 11:12:40 -0500:

Just to be clear, I'm thinking more "This is how a thing should work",
not "best practices". The difference being that we'd write down something
like " message busses should look like X, Y, or Z based on factors a, b,
and/or c", and then we'd actually go fix or document the divergent cases
in OpenStack.

A best practices group would not actually fix anything IMO. It has to be
a group of action. Of course, we'll ask for help from any project teams
that are involved, and coordinate on things like release schedules so
we don't complicate short term plans. But I don't want this to just be a
standards body. I want this to be the group that gets the ball rolling,
and then helps it keep rolling.

There's no such thing as a perfect system, so we need to work toward
a process that produces _good_ results. Enforcement without merit will
just drive a wedge into that process.