[openstack-dev] [nova] Placement API WSGI code -- let's just use flask

Michael Krotscheck krotscheck at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 14:43:18 UTC 2016

[Non-specific to nova]

I generated a list of which frameworks were in use in Mitaka - it's at the
top of the blog post I reference below, so you don't have to dig into it
too much to get the data.

TL/DR:
- falcon: 4 projects
- custom + routes: 12 projects
- pecan: 12 projects
- flask: 2 projects
- web.py: 1 project

With that in mind, I caution everyone not to surrender to the bandwagon
logical fallacy. "That's what we've always done" or "That's what most
people are doing" isn't actually an argument pro or con, it's merely
supporting the status quo because doing anything else would be hard (tm).

I think we can all agree on the following:
- Consistency is good. We need to pick one approach.
- Offloading support overhead onto a common codebase is better.

As for what the choice should be, this should be a thing the Architecture
WG makes a recommendation on, and with endorsement from the TC, would
actually be worthwhile for other projects to migrate to.

https://krotscheck.net/2016/03/25/we-need-an-consistent-openstack.html

Michael