[openstack-dev] [nova] Placement API WSGI code -- let's just use flask

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 11:39:08 UTC 2016

On 06/21/2016 05:43 AM, Sylvain Bauza wrote:
> Le 21/06/2016 10:04, Chris Dent a écrit :
>> On Mon, 20 Jun 2016, Jay Pipes wrote:
>>
>>> Flask seems to be the most widely used and known WSGI framework so
>>> for consistency's sake, I'm recommending we just use it and not rock
>>> this boat. There are more important things to get hung up on than
>>> this battle right now.
>>
>> That seems perfectly reasonable. My main goal in starting the
>> discussion was to ensure that we reach some kind of consensus,
>> whatever it might be[1]. It won't be too much of an ordeal to
>> turn the existing pure WSGI stuff into Flask stuff.
>>
>> From my standpoint doing the initial development in straight WSGI
>> was a win as it allowed for a lot of clarity from the inside out.
>> Now that that development has shown the shape of the API we can
>> do what we need to do to make it clear from outside in.
>>
>> Next question: There's some support for not using Paste and
>> paste.ini. Is anyone opposed to that?
>>

> Given Flask is not something we support yet in Nova, could we discuss on
> that during either a Nova meeting, or maybe wait for the midcycle ?

I really don't want to wait for the mid-cycle. Happy to discuss in the
Nova meeting, but my preference is to have Chris just modify his patch
series to use Flask now and review it.

> To be honest, Chris and you were saying that you don't like Flask, and
> I'm a bit agreeing with you. Why now it's a good possibility ?

Because Doug persuaded me that the benefits of being consistent with
what the community is using outweigh my (and Chris') personal misgivings
about the particular framework.

> Why not Routes and Paste couldn't be using also ?

It's about using a code style and library that is in use by other
projects so that new contributors can have some consistency in the WSGI
handling code.

Best,
-jay