[openstack-dev] [TripleO] Consolidating TripleO validations with Browbeat validations

Tomas Sedovic tsedovic at redhat.com
Tue Jun 21 10:41:18 UTC 2016

On 06/20/2016 06:37 PM, Joe Talerico wrote:
> Hello - It would seem there is a little bit of overlap with TripleO
> validations ( clapper validations ) and Browbeat *Checks*. I would
> like to see these two come together, and I wanted to get some feedback
> on this.
>
> For reference here are the Browbeat checks :
> https://github.com/openstack/browbeat/tree/master/ansible/check
>
> We check for common deployment mistakes, possible deployment
> performance issues and some bugs that could impact the scale and
> performance of your cloud... At the end we build a report of found
> issues with the cloud, like :
> https://github.com/openstack/browbeat/blob/master/ansible/check/browbeat-example-bug_report.log
>
> We eventually wanted to take these findings and push them to
> ElasticSearch as metadata for our result data (just so we would be
> aware of any BZs or possibly missed tuning).
>
> Anyhoo, I just would like to get feedback on consolidating these
> checks into TripleO Validations if that makes sense. If this does make
> sense, who could I work with to see that this happens?

Hey!

I'd love to have a single place for all the validations if it's at all
possible.

Our repos are structured a little differently, but I hope we can come up
with a solution that works for both uses.

The primary idea behind the tripleo-validations (née Clapper) repo is to
have have checks in the various stages of the deployment to find
potential hardware issues or incorrect configuration early.

We want to have these run by the cli and the web ui automatically, which
is why we opted for the one validation (playbook) with extra metadata
per file approach.

There are two people working on these right now: myself and Martin
André. We're in #tripleo (mandre & shadower). Feel free to talk to
either of us, though I suspect I may have more time for this.

We're both in the CE(S)T so there should be some overlap for realtime chat.

Tomas