[openstack-dev] Version header for OpenStack microversion support

Jamie Lennox jamielennox at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 02:15:35 UTC 2016

On 21 June 2016 at 11:41, Edward Leafe <ed at leafe.com> wrote:

> On Jun 18, 2016, at 9:03 AM, Clint Byrum <clint at fewbar.com> wrote:
>
> > Whatever API version is used behind the compute API is none of the user's
> > business.
>
> Actually, yeah, it is.
>
> If I write an app or a tool that expects to send information in a certain
> format, and receive responses in a certain format, I don't want that to
> change when the cloud operator upgrades their system. I only want things to
> change when I specifically request that they change by specifying a new
> microversion.

I think the point there was as a user you only get to specify the version
you communicate with the initial service. Talking to nova you can ask for
2.4 (no idea on the actual numbers), but you have no control over the
version nova uses to talk to neutron or glance because that doesn't affect
the output to you as a user.