[openstack-dev] [all][tc] Require a level playing field for OpenStack projects

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Mon Jun 20 16:50:55 UTC 2016

On 2016-06-20 18:43:44 +0200 (+0200), Zane Bitter wrote:
> The binaries are free-as-in-beer - IIUC you can't redistribute them. The
> source code, of course, remains free-as-in-speech as it has always been.
> (It's easy to forget the distinction when you work in Python all day and
> there are no binaries, but it's the source code that counts.) And of course
> there are freely-distributable binaries built from that source available in
> the form of CentOS.
[...]

Not to go too far down this rabbit hole, but as a
long-time-away-from-Red-Hat user my (possibly quite outdated)
experience was that RHEL included some non-free/proprietary software
distributed alongside other free-as-in-speech software. If this is
still true, it would be a significant mischaracterization to claim
that the "source code" for RHEL as a whole is consistently free. If
_all_ software provided by RHEL is also now included under free and
open licenses, then I'm thrilled and may be more inclined to give it
a try again in the future.
--
Jeremy Stanley