[openstack-dev] Version header for OpenStack microversion support

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Mon Jun 20 12:32:10 UTC 2016

On 06/18/2016 06:32 AM, Jamie Lennox wrote:
> Quick question: why do we need the service type or name in there? You
> really should know what API you're talking to already and it's just
> something that makes it more difficult to handle all the different APIs
> in a common way.

It is also extremely useful in wire interactions to be explicit so that
you know for sure you are interacting with the thing you think you are.
There was also the potential question of compound API operations (a Nova
call that calls other microversioned services that may impact
representation) and whether that may need to be surfaced to the user.
For instance network portions of the 'servers' object may get impacted
by Neutron.

With all those possibilities, putting in the extra ~8 bytes to handle
contingencies seemed prudent.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague