[openstack-dev] Version header for OpenStack microversion support

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Sat Jun 18 14:03:43 UTC 2016

Excerpts from Henry Nash's message of 2016-06-18 13:14:17 +0100:
> > On 18 Jun 2016, at 11:32, Jamie Lennox <jamielennox at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Quick question: why do we need the service type or name in there? You really should know what API you're talking to already and it's just something that makes it more difficult to handle all the different APIs in a common way.

< moved question to be inline for readability>

> …I think it is so you can have a header in a request that, once issued, can be passed for service to service, e.g.:
>
> OpenStack-API-Version: identity 3.7, compute 2.11

Whatever API version is used behind the compute API is none of the user's
business. Nova will support whatever identity API versions it supports,
and if you've passed it something that isn't compatible with the APIs it
knows how to speak, asking for it to support a version that it doesn't
isn't going to change the fact that this is an impossible request already.

That said, I kind of like the idea of specifying the name there for the
one API you are speaking, just in case something goes awry and you try
to send an identity request to compute, it's more clear that this is the
wrong API you're talking to. It's not like it's hard to split a string
on white space.