[openstack-dev] [OpenStack-Infra] There is no Jenkins, only Zuul

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Thu Jun 16 23:57:42 UTC 2016

On 2016-06-16 16:15:34 -0700 (-0700), Joshua Harlow wrote:
[...]
> Is the goal/idea that there would be something like a
> '.travis.yml' (file or directory) that would contain the job
> configuration (and any special jobs or commands or tasks) in the
> project repository that zuul would then use and do things with
> (thus becoming more distributed, and self-configurable and more
> like travis CI than what previously existed)?
[...]

That's one of the primary design goals for Zuul v3. See the third
paragraph at
http://specs.openstack.org/openstack-infra/infra-specs/specs/zuulv3.html#tenants
for a bit about it (and please help us implement if you find this
interesting!). Not that it's particularly attempting to replicate
features from other job management systems, but we do want projects
to have the freedom to take more control over some of their job
definitions without needing our already overworked reviewers on
every tweak. Also this makes changes to many of those jobs
self-testing, so less job breakage and fewer iterations on the
configuration.

Note that Zuul v2(.5) is still relying solely on central job
configuration in the openstack-infra/project-config repo, the above
is purely in reference to aspects of the v3 redesign.
--
Jeremy Stanley