[openstack-dev] [networking-ovs-dpdk] suggested devStack local.conf settings for OpenStack Mitaka with DPDK

Montorsi, Francesco fmontorsi at empirix.com
Thu Jun 16 15:01:50 UTC 2016

Hi,
I would like to install with DevStack (on a single node) OpenStack Mitaka with neutron using OVS+DPDK (so far I managed to create with devstack a Mitaka stack using neutron with "vanilla" OVS).
To be clear, I checked out the stable/mitaka devstack branch:
   git clone https://git.openstack.org/openstack-dev/devstack -b stable/mitaka

I'm wondering 3 things though:

1) Do you recommend any change to the networking-ovs-dpdk local.conf file advertised here:
   https://github.com/openstack/networking-ovs-dpdk/blob/master/doc/source/_downloads/local.conf.single_node    ?
(it seems it was updated only 5 months ago, while Mitaka has been released in April, 2 months ago)

2) What's the syntax for ML2_VLAN_RANGES option? Is
 ML2_VLAN_RANGES=default:1000-1100
ok?

3) What happens to the bridges that get listed into OVS_BRIDGE_MAPPINGS ?
I understand they will be bound to DPDK driver... but does this mean that VM traffic will use such bridge for exiting the devstack node (e.g., for Internet access)?

Thanks a lot for your help,
Francesco Montorsi

PS:
I noticed that the links to the local.conf files in the following webpages are out-of-date:
   https://github.com/openstack/networking-ovs-dpdk/blob/master/doc/source/usage.rst
   https://github.com/openstack/networking-ovs-dpdk

Twitter: @Empirix
Website: http://www.empirix.com