[openstack-dev] [nova] A primer on data structures used by Nova to represent block devices

Matthew Booth mbooth at redhat.com
Thu Jun 16 11:48:18 UTC 2016

The purpose of this mail is to share what I have learned about the various
data structures used by Nova for representing block devices. I compiled
this for my own use, but I hope it might be useful for others, and that
other might point out any errors.

As is usual when I'm reading code like this, I've created some cleanup
patches to address nits or things I found confusing as I went along. I've
posted review links at the end.

A note on reading this. I refer to local disks and volumes. A local disk in
this context is any disk directly managed by nova compute. If nova is
configured to use Rbd or NFS for instance disks these disks won't actually
be local, but they are still managed locally and referred to as local disks.

There are 4 relevant data structures. 2 of these are general, 2 are
specific to the libvirt driver.

BlockDeviceMapping
===============

The 'top level' data structure is the block device mapping object. It is a
NovaObject, persisted in the db. Current code creates a BDM object for
every disk associated with an instance, whether it is a volume or not. I
can't confirm (or deny) that this has always been the case, though, so
there may be instances which still exist which have some BDMs missing.

The BDM object describes properties of each disk as specified by the user.
It is initially created by the user and passed to compute api. Compute api
transforms and consolidates all BDMs to ensure that all disks, explicit or
implicit, have a BDM, then persists them. Look in nova.objects.block_device
for all BDM fields, but in essence they contain information like
(source_type='image', destination_type='local', image_id='<image uuid'>),
or equivalents describing ephemeral disks, swap disks or volumes, and some
associated data.

Reader note: BDM objects are typically stored in variables called 'bdm'
with lists in 'bdms', although this is obviously not guaranteed (and
unfortunately not always true: bdm in libvirt.block_device is usually a
DriverBlockDevice object). This is a useful reading aid (except when it's
proactively confounding), as there is also something else typically called
'block_device_mapping' which is not a BlockDeviceMapping object.

block_device_info
=============

Drivers do not directly use BDM objects. Instead, they are transformed into
a different driver-specific representation. This representation is normally
called 'block_device_info', and is generated by
virt.driver.get_block_device_info(). Its output is based on data in BDMs.
block_device_info is a struct containing:

  {
    'root_device_name': hypervisor's notion of the root device's name
    'ephemerals': A list of all ephemeral disks
    'block_device_mapping': A list of all cinder volumes
    'swap': A swap disk, or None if there is no swap disk
  }

The disks are represented in one of 2 ways, which depends on the specific
driver currently in use. There's the 'new' representation, used by the
libvirt and vmwareapi drivers, and the 'legacy' representation used by all
other drivers. The legacy representation is a plain dict. It does not
contain the same information as the new representation. I won't cover it
further here as I haven't looked at it in detail.

The new representation involves subclasses of
nova.block_device.DriverBlockDevice. As well as containing different
fields, the new representation significantly also retains a reference to
the underlying BDM object. This means that by manipulating the
DriverBlockDevice object, the driver is able to persist data to the BDM
object in the db.

Reader beware: common usage is to pull 'block_device_mapping' out of this
dict into a variable called 'block_device_mapping'. This is not a
BlockDeviceMapping object, or list of them.

Reader beware: if block_device_info was passed to the driver by compute
manager, it was probably generated by _get_instance_block_device_info(). By
default, this function filters out all cinder volumes from
block_device_mapping which don't currently have connection_info. In other
contexts this filtering will not have happened, and block_device_mapping
will contain all volumes.

Reader beware: unlike BDMs, block_device_info does not represent all disks
that an instance might have. Significantly, it will not contain any
representation of an image-backed local disk, i.e. the root disk of a
typical instance which isn't boot-from-volume. Other representations used
by the libvirt driver explicitly reconstruct this missing disk. I assume
other drivers must do the same.

instance_disk_info
=============

The driver api defines a method get_instance_disk_info, which returns a
json blob. The compute manager calls this and passes the data over rpc
between calls without ever looking at it. This is driver-specific opaque
data. It is also only used by the libvirt driver, despite being part of the
api for all drivers. Other drivers do not return any data. The most
interesting aspect of instance_disk_info is that it is generated from the
libvirt XML, not from nova's state.

Reader beware: instance_disk_info is often named 'disk_info' in code, which
is unfortunate as this clashes with the normal naming of the next
structure. Occasionally the two are used in the same block of code.

instance_disk_info is a list of dicts for some of an instance's disks.

Reader beware: Rbd disks (including non-volume disks) and cinder volumes
are not included in instance_disk_info.

The dicts are:

  {
    'type': libvirt's notion of the disk's type
    'path': libvirt's notion of the disk's path
    'virt_disk_size': The disk's virtual size in bytes (the size the guest
OS sees)
    'backing_file': libvirt's notion of the backing file path
    'disk_size': The file size of path, in bytes.
    'over_committed_disk_size': As-yet-unallocated disk size, in bytes.
  }

disk_info
=======

Reader beware: as opposed to instance_disk_info, which is frequently called
disk_info.

This data structure is actually described pretty well in the comment block
at the top of libvirt/blockinfo.py. It is internal to the libvirt driver.
It contains:

  {
    'disk_bus': the default bus used by disks
    'cdrom_bus': the default bus used by cdrom drives
    'mapping': defined below
  }

'mapping' is a dict which maps disk names to a dict describing how that
disk should be passed to libvirt. This mapping contains every disk
connected to the instance, both local and volumes.

First, a note on disk naming. Local disk names used by the libvirt driver
are well defined. They are:

'disk': the root disk
'disk.local': the flavor-defined ephemeral disk
'disk.ephX': where X is a zero-based index for bdm-defined ephemeral disks.
'disk.swap': the swap disk
'disk.config': the config disk

These names are hardcoded, reliable, and used in lots of places.

In disk_info, volumes are keyed by device name, eg 'vda', 'vdb'. Different
busses will be named differently, approximately according to legacy Linux
device naming.

Additionally, disk_info will contain a mapping for 'root', which is the
root disk. This will duplicate one of the other entries, either 'disk' or a
volume mapping.

The information for each disk is:

  {
    'bus': the bus for this disk
    'dev': the device name for this disk as known to libvirt
    'type': A type from the BlockDeviceType enum ('disk', 'cdrom',
'floppy', 'fs', or 'lun')

    === keys below are optional, and may not be present
    'format': Used to format swap/ephemeral disks before passing to
instance (e.g. 'swap', 'ext4')
    'boot_index': the 1-based boot index of the disk.
  }

Reader beware: BlockDeviceMapping and DriverBlockDevice store boot index
zero-based. However, libvirt's boot index is 1-based, so the value stored
here is 1-based.

Cleanups
=======

https://review.openstack.org/329366 rename libvirt has_default_ephemeral