[openstack-dev] [nova] Virtuozzo (Compute) CI is incorrectly patching for resize support

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Jun 15 17:41:56 UTC 2016

On 6/15/2016 5:17 AM, Evgeny Antyshev wrote:
> Hello, Matt!
>
> First of all, I want to apologize for the inconvenience.
> This all started yesterday when I updated Virtuozzo CI using latest
> puppets, Zuul, Jenkins and other stuff.
> The update somehow led to Zuul not passing environment variables like
> ZUUL_CHANGE, LOG_PATH to Jenkins job.
> Therefore, devstack-gate didn't apply the change 282580 which triggered
> the test (usually it does).
>
> I'm still investigating this issue with Zuul-Jenkins interaction.
>
> Please, also see inline comments:
>
> On 06/15/2016 12:51 AM, Matt Riedemann wrote:
>> It was pointed out today in IRC that the Virtuozzo CI has been failing
>> on this change for the libvirt imagebackend refactor:
>>
>> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/282580/
>>
>> Diana was having a hard time sorting out the line numbers in the stack
>> trace though from the logs, because they didn't exist in her series.
>>
>> Long story short, that's because the job checks to see if the change
>> is the change that adds resize support for virtuozzo:
>>
>> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/182257/
>>
>> And if not, it fetches that change:
>>
>> 23:48:46 2016-06-10 23:48:58.863 | + cd /opt/stack/new/nova
>> 23:48:46 2016-06-10 23:48:58.872 | + [[ 282580 -ne 182257 ]]
>> 23:48:46 2016-06-10 23:48:58.875 | + git fetch
>> https://review.openstack.org/p/openstack/nova refs/changes/57/182257/37
>> 23:48:59 2016-06-10 23:49:11.357 | From
>> https://review.openstack.org/p/openstack/nova
>> 23:48:59 2016-06-10 23:49:11.359 |  * branch refs/changes/57/182257/37
>> -> FETCH_HEAD
>> 23:48:59 2016-06-10 23:49:11.366 | + git cherry-pick FETCH_HEAD
>> 23:48:59 2016-06-10 23:49:11.689 | [detached HEAD 44b6772] libvirt:
>> virtuozzo instance resize support
>>
>> It's not valid to patch Nova for your CI when testing other changes,
>> it breaks the whole point of CI testing if you have to patch things in
>> it that aren't in the actual dependency change or repo - because when
>> it fails, like in this case, one doesn't know if it's their actual
>> change that's broken or the patch in the CI job.
> Well, this methodology is explained in
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Cinder/tested-3rdParty-drivers
> ("How do I run my CI to test all cinder patches with my driver not yet
> merged?")
> I hoped the same approach is valid for Nova.
>
> The change 182257 is critical for our functionality, but is not merged yet.
> Should we test other patches assuming our change got merged, or not is a
> policy question,
> and it is obvious that in Cinder this is regarded as normal.

It's different when you're adding a new driver that's not yet in tree.
The virtuozzo support is already in the libvirt driver. The team is
working on feature parity, which is good, but you should be able to run
other basic server tests (create/delete/start/stop/etc) on all nova
changes. The resize tests should only run on the patch that adds the
resize support.

>> I'm assuming this was done because I asked for the Virtuozzo CI to run
>> the resize tests in tempest against
>> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/182257/ - which it is, but that
>> didn't mean also do it for all other changes in Nova. The CI job
>> should conditionally enable those tests when testing change 182257 but
>> not anything else until that's merged.
> If you confirm this, I'll do as you explained above.

Correct, you should only test resize against the patch that adds the
resize support and nothing else until that change is merged. This should
be somewhat trivial by setting the CONF.compute_feature_enabled.resize
flag in tempest.conf.