[openstack-dev] [kolla] xenial or trusty

Jeffrey Zhang zhang.lei.fly at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 02:03:59 UTC 2016

It is hard for kolla to support both release of Ubuntu.

Because docker separate the image build from deploy. We have no idea about
the Ubuntu version in Dockerfile
except runing command to test it. We build the image by using Dockerfile.
If we want support multi release of
Ubuntu, the Dockerfile will looks like:

RUN if [[ $(cat /etc/os-release | awk '/VERSION_ID/{print $2}') == '14.04'
]] then; \
        apt-get install openjdk-7-jre \
    elif $(cat /etc/os-release | awk '/VERSION_ID/{print $2}') == '16.04'
]] then; \
        apt-get install openjdk-8-jre
    fi

This is still possible. Think about how to use COPY in the Dockerfile to
support multi Ubuntu release? like

COPY sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list

As far as I can find out is:

COPY sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list
RUN if [[ $(cat /etc/os-release | awk '/VERSION_ID/{print $2}') == '14.04'
]] then; \
        sed -i 's/UBUNTU_RELEASE/trusty/' /etc/apt/sources.list \
    elif $(cat /etc/os-release | awk '/VERSION_ID/{print $2}') == '16.04'
]] then; \
        sed -i 's/UBUNTU_RELEASE/xenial/' /etc/apt/sources.list \
    fi

On Sat, May 7, 2016 at 12:51 AM, Jesse Pretorius <jesse.pretorius at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 6 May 2016 at 16:27, Jeffrey Zhang <zhang.lei.fly at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Fri, May 6, 2016 at 9:09 PM, Jesse Pretorius <
>> jesse.pretorius at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> FWIW OpenStack-Ansible is choosing to support deployment on both Ubuntu
>>> 14.04 LTS and Ubuntu 16.04 LTS for both the Newton and Ocata cycles, with
>>> the current proposal to drop it in P. The intent is to provide our
>>> deployers the opportunity to transition with a mixed deployment.
>>

>> Are you meaning the host/baremetal OS? ​the openstack-ansible deploy the
>> OpenStack in LXC.​
>> So it really do not care about the host machine's OS. Kolla is not care
>> about it, too.
>> I think the openstack-ansible a specify LXC image, and do not support
>> multi base image.
>>
>> if not, could u provide any prove for this?
>>

> OSA supports the implementation of OpenStack on bare metal or in LXC
> machine containers, so we need to cater for both. When an LXC machine
> container is deployed we've chosen to use the strategy of always
> implementing the same OS in the container as is implemented on the host.
> This simplifies our testing greatly.
>
> For the sake of background information, seeing as you asked, the base LXC
> image we're using comes from https://images.linuxcontainers.org/ giving
> us the ability to support multiple versions, multiple distributions and
> multiple architectures, and it's especially nifty that the entire image
> build process is open source and therefore can be implemented and
> customised by our deployers.
>
> I guess this is similar for Kolla in a different way because the image
> pipeline is defined by the project and implemented through the docker image
> building processes.

Regards,
Jeffrey Zhang
Blog: http://xcodest.me