[openstack-dev] [Neutron][os-vif] Expanding vif capability for wiring trunk ports

Kevin Benton kevin at benton.pub
Wed Jun 15 00:27:26 UTC 2016

>which generates an arbitrary name

I'm not a fan of this approach because it requires coordinated assumptions.
With the OVS hybrid plug strategy we have to make guesses on the agent side
about the presence of bridges with specific names that we never explicitly
requested and that we were never explicitly told about. So we end up with
code like [1] that is looking for a particular end of a veth pair it just
hopes is there so the rules have an effect.

>it seems that the LinuxBridge implementation can simply use an L2 agent
extension for creating the vlan interfaces for the subports

LinuxBridge implementation is the same regardless of the strategy for OVS.
The whole reason we have to come up with these alternative approaches for
OVS is because we can't use the obvious architecture of letting it plug
into the integration bridge due to VLANs already being used for network
isolation. I'm not sure pushing complexity out to os-vif to deal with this
is a great long-term strategy.

>Also, we didn’t make the OVS agent monitor for new linux bridges in the
hybrid_ovs strategy so that Neutron could be responsible for creating the
veth pair.

Linux Bridges are outside of the domain of OVS and even its agent. The L2
agent doesn't actually do anything with the bridge itself, it just needs a
veth device it can put iptables rules on. That's in contrast to these new
OVS bridges that we will be managing rules for, creating additional patch
ports, etc.

>Why shouldn't we use the tools that are already available to us?

Because we're trying to build a house and all we have are paint brushes. :)

1.
https://github.com/openstack/neutron/blob/f78e5b4ec812cfcf5ab8b50fca62d1ae0dd7741d/neutron/agent/linux/iptables_firewall.py#L919-L923