[openstack-dev] [nova] NUMA, huge pages, and scheduling

Paul Michali pc at michali.net
Tue Jun 14 19:30:42 UTC 2016

Well, looks like we figured out what is going on - maybe folks have some
ideas on how we could handle this issue.

What I see is that for each VM create (small flavor), 1024 huge pages are
used and NUMA node 0 used. It appears that, when there is no longer enough
huge pages on that NUMA node, Nova with then schedule to the other NUMA
node and use those huge pages.

In our case, we happen to have a special container running on the compute
nodes, that uses 512 huge pages. As a result, when there are 768 huge pages
left, Nova thinks there are 1280 pages left and thinks one more VM can be
create. It tries, but the create fails.

Some questions...

1) Is there some way to "reserve" huge pages in Nova?
2) If the create fails, should Nova try the other NUMA node (or is this
because it doesn't know why it failed)?
3) Any ideas on how we can deal with this - without changing Nova?

Thanks!

PCM