[openstack-dev] [nova] Initial oslo.privsep conversion?

Angus Lees gus at inodes.org
Tue Jun 14 05:07:39 UTC 2016

One of the challenges with nova (and I'm working from some earlier
conversations, not a first-hand reading of the code) is that we can't
restrict file operations to any particular corner of the filesystem,
because the location of the libvirt data is stored (only) in the database,
and the database is writeable by "unprivileged" nova code.  My
understanding is that it's considered a feature that the libvirt data
directory can be changed at some point, and old instances will continue to
operate in their old location just fine.

There's a number of ways to improve that (restrict to a list of configured
dirs; limit access to dirs owned by a particular (non-root) uid/gid; etc)
but any translation of the nova file-manipulation code to something more
secure will rapidly run up against this "so how do we work out what should
actually be allowed?" policy discussion.  The conclusion of that discussion
will probably require broader nova changes than simply adopting privsep -
just fyi.

 - Gus