[openstack-dev] [tc][pbr][packaging][all] Definition of Data Files (config) in setup.cfg

Morgan Fainberg morgan.fainberg at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 01:50:08 UTC 2016

There has been a bit of back[1] and forth[2][3][4][5] between at least one
packaging group and a few folks who are trying to define data files
(config) in the setup.cfg to aid/ease installation within virtual
environments.

>From what I can tell, there has been an issue with setuptools that makes
this a particularly sticky situation and difficult to address in PBR via an
option like --sysconfdir due to a disagreement between setuptools and
disttools disagreeing upon the meaning of "data-files".  [6]

Before this turns into a nightmare of add-patches/revert/add/revert and
making things highly inconsistent within OpenStack, I'd like to get
feedback from the packaging teams on where this impacts them. I know that a
number of folks carry effectively this patch internally to make working
with VENVs easier.

We should absolutely address this in setuptools/distutils/etc but a clear
direction forward so that the projects under OpenStack remain consistent
for users, developers, and packagers would be good at this point.

I know that keystone has had a lot of work done to ensure we can work in
most "general" environments, but installing the data-files within a VENV is
much more simple than a bunch of special casing to "find" the config files.

In short, I think OpenStack needs to define (even if it's a short period of
time) what we consider "data-files", we can always revisit this when/if we
have a clear path forward via PBR, setuptools, disttools, etc.

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/322086/
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/326152/
[3] http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/neutron/tree/setup.cfg#n24
[4] http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/gnocchi/tree/setup.cfg#n87