[openstack-dev] [Neutron][os-vif] Expanding vif capability for wiring trunk ports

Carl Baldwin carl at ecbaldwin.net
Thu Jun 9 23:31:13 UTC 2016

Hi,

You may or may not be aware of the vlan-aware-vms effort [1] in
Neutron.  If not, there is a spec and a fair number of patches in
progress for this.  Essentially, the goal is to allow a VM to connect
to multiple Neutron networks by tagging traffic on a single port with
VLAN tags.

This effort will have some effect on vif plugging because the datapath
will include some changes that will effect how vif plugging is done
today.

The design proposal for trunk ports with OVS adds a new bridge for
each trunk port.  This bridge will demux the traffic and then connect
to br-int with patch ports for each of the networks.  Rawlin Peters
has some ideas for expanding the vif capability to include this
wiring.

There is also a proposal for connecting to linux bridges by using
kernel vlan interfaces.

This effort is pretty important to Neutron in the Newton timeframe.  I
wanted to send this out to start rounding up the reviewers and other
participants we need to see how we can start putting together a plan
for nova integration of this feature (via os-vif?).

Carl Baldwin

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:bp/vlan-aware-vms+-status:abandoned