[openstack-dev] [neutron][networking-ovn] OVN vs. OpenDayLight

Assaf Muller assaf at redhat.com
Thu Jun 9 19:11:45 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jun 9, 2016 at 1:48 PM, Ben Pfaff <blp at ovn.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 09, 2016 at 10:28:31AM -0700, rezroo wrote:
>> I'm trying to reconcile differences and similarities between OVN and
>> OpenDayLight in my head. Can someone help me compare these two technologies
>> and explain if they solve the same problem, or if there are fundamental
>> differences between them?
>
> OVN implements network virtualization for clouds of VMs or containers or
> a mix.  Open Daylight is a platform for managing networks that can do
> anything you want.

That is true, but when considering a Neutron backend for OpenStack
deployments, people choose a subset of OpenDaylight projects and the
end result is a solution that is comparable in scope and feature set.
There are objective differences in where the projects are in their
lifetime, the HA architecture, the project's consistency model between
the neutron-server process and the backend, the development velocity,
the community size and the release model.