[openstack-dev] [nova] NUMA, huge pages, and scheduling

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Thu Jun 9 18:35:06 UTC 2016

On 06/09/2016 05:15 AM, Paul Michali wrote:
> 1) On the host, I was seeing 32768 huge pages, of 2MB size.

Please check the number of huge pages _per host numa node_.

> 2) I changed mem_page_size from 1024 to 2048 in the flavor, and then when VMs
> were created, they were being evenly assigned to the two NUMA nodes. Each using
> 1024 huge pages. At this point I could create more than half, but when there
> were 1945 pages left, it failed to create a VM. Did it fail because the
> mem_page_size was 2048 and the available pages were 1945, even though we were
> only requesting 1024 pages?

I do not think that "1024" is a valid page size (at least for x86).

Be careful about units. mem_page_size is in units of KB.  For x86, valid
numerical sizes are 4, 2048, and 1048576.  (For 4KB, 2MB, and 1GB hugepages.)
The flavor specifies memory size in MB.

> 3) Related to #2, is there a relationship between mem_page_size, the allocation
> of VMs to NUMA nodes, and the flavor size? IOW, if I use the medium flavor
> (4GB), will I need a larger mem_page_size? (I'll play with this variation, as
> soon as I can). Gets back to understanding how the scheduling determines how to
> assign the VMs.

Valid mem_page_size values are determined by the host CPU.  You do not need a
larger page size for flavors with larger memory sizes.

VMs with numa topology (hugepages, pinned CPUs, pci devices, etc.) will be
pinned to a single host numa node.)

Chris