[openstack-dev] [neutron] OVSDB native interface as default in gate jobs

IWAMOTO Toshihiro iwamoto at valinux.co.jp
Thu Jun 9 08:40:57 UTC 2016

At Wed, 08 Jun 2016 03:26:59 -0700,
Clark Boylan wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 5, 2016, at 08:32 PM, IWAMOTO Toshihiro wrote:
> > At Tue, 5 Apr 2016 12:57:33 -0400,
> > Assaf Muller wrote:

> > > The ovsdb native interface is a couple of cycles more mature than the
> > > openflow one, I see how some users would use one but not the other.
> >
> > The native of_interface has been tested by periodic jobs and seems
> > pretty stable.
> >
> > http://graphite.openstack.org/dashboard/#neutron-ovs-native

> > > Definitely. I'd prefer to deprecate and delete the cli interfaces and
> > > keep only the native interfaces in the long run.

> > The native of_interface is definitely faster than the CLI alternative,
> > but (un?)fortunately that's not a performance bottleneck.
> >
> > The transition would be a gain, but it comes with uncovering a few
> > unidentified bugs etc.
> >
> > Anyway, I'll post an updated version of performance comparison shortly.
>
> Going to resurrect this thread to see where we have gotten. Did an
> updated comparison ever get posted? If so I mised it. Looks like Neutron
> does have functional tests now that use the native interfaces for ovsdb
> and openflow. The change to update the default interface for ovsdb is
> still in review though.

It happened on a different mail thread, and I haven't done any
comparison with ovsdb drivers.

http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2016-April/091639.html
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2016-April/091642.html

> Any chance that we document these choices yet?

I've put a patch that switches to the native of_interface.
If we cannot switch the default, better documentation might help.

--
IWAMOTO Toshihiro