[openstack-dev] [nova][glance][qa] Test plans for glance v2 stack

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Wed Jun 8 11:50:41 UTC 2016

On 06/07/2016 04:55 PM, Matt Riedemann wrote:
> I tested the glance v2 stack (glance v1 disabled) using a devstack
> change here:
>
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/325322/
>
> Now that the changes are merged up through the base nova image proxy and
> the libvirt driver, and we just have hyper-v/xen driver changes for that
> series, we should look at gating on this configuration.
>
> I was originally thinking about adding a new job for this, but it's
> probably better if we just change one of the existing integrated gate
> jobs, like gate-tempest-dsvm-full or gate-tempest-dsvm-neutron-full.
>
> Does anyone have an issue with that? Glance v1 is deprecated and the
> configuration option added to nova (use_glance_v1) defaults to True for
> compat but is deprecated, and the Nova team plans to drop it's v1 proxy
> code in Ocata. So it seems like changing config to use v2 in the gate
> jobs should be a non-issue. We'd want to keep at least one integrated
> gate job using glance v1 to make sure we don't regress anything there in
> Newton.

Honestly, I think we should take the Nova defaults (which will flip to
v2 shortly) and move forward. v1 usage in Nova will be deprecated in a
week. It will default to v2 for people in Newton and they will have to
manually change it to go back. And because we did the copy / paste
approach instead of common dynamic code, the chances for a v1 regression
that is not caught by our unit tests is very very small. It's basically
frozen code.

And we're going to delete the v1 code paths entirely in September. By
the time anyone deploys the Newton code the master v1 code will be
deleted. And our answer is going to be move to v2 for everyone.

It doesn't make sense to me to drive up the complexity by testing both
paths. We'll have a new tested opinionated default that we lead with.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net