[openstack-dev] [ironic] using ironic as a replacement for existing datacenter baremetal provisioning

Andrew Laski andrew at lascii.com
Tue Jun 7 19:24:53 UTC 2016

On Tue, Jun 7, 2016, at 02:34 PM, Joshua Harlow wrote:
> Devananda van der Veen wrote:

> > You've got two statements in here, which I'm going to reply to separately:
> >
> >> Oops forgot to fill this out, was just thinking that at a certain point it might
> >> be easier to figure out how to extract that API (meh, if its public or private)
> >
> > The nova-core team has repeatedly stated that they do not have plans to support
> > the nova virt driver API as a stable or externally-consumable python API.
> > Changing that would affect a lot more than Ironic (eg. defcore). A change like
> > that is not just about what is easier for developers, but also what is better
> > for the community.
> >

> Right, I'm starting to come to the belief that what is better for the
> community is to change this; because from what I can tell (from my view
> of the world) that tying all the things to nova has really been
> detrimental (to a degree) to the whole progression of the cloud as a
> whole.

When I have heard the statement made about the virt driver API it has
simply been that it is not stable and there are no plans at this point
to make it stable. My own opinion is that it is sometimes painful to use
from within Nova and I do not wish to expose that pain to others. There
are changes I would like to see made before it could be considered
externally consumable.