[openstack-dev] [Octavia] Unable to plug VIP

Babu Shanmugam bschanmu at redhat.com
Tue Jun 7 12:09:35 UTC 2016

Hi,
I am using octavia deployed using devstack. I am *never* able to
successfully create a loadbalancer. Following is my investigation,

1. When a loadbalancer is created, octavia controller sends plug_vip
request to the amphora VM.
2. It waits for some time till the connection to the amphora is established.
3. After it successfully connects, octavia controller gets response
{"details": "No suitable network interface found"} to plug_vip request.
4. I tried to get the list of interfaces attached to the amphora VM
using subprocess.check_cmd("sudo virsh domiflist") before returning frpm
plug_vip
(https://github.com/openstack/octavia/blob/master/octavia/amphorae/drivers/haproxy/rest_api_driver.py#L326)
and found that there is indeed a veth device attached to the VM with
that MAC sent in the request.
5. From the amphora server code, I could understand that the possible
place for this exception is
https://github.com/openstack/octavia/blob/master/octavia/amphorae/backends/agent/api_server/plug.py#L53.
But, when I ssh to the amphora VM, I was able to see the
'amphora-haproxy' netns created and also the interface configuration
file for eth1 device, which should have been executed after #L53.

I am not sure why this problem happens. Everything seems to be fine, but
I am still facing this problem. Have you seen this problem before?

Thank you,
Babu