[openstack-dev] [ironic] moving ansible-deploy driver patches to ironic-staging-drivers

Pavlo Shchelokovskyy pshchelokovskyy at mirantis.com
Mon Jun 6 15:14:45 UTC 2016

HI All,

As you might have noticed, lately we (mostly myself and Yuri) were working
on an experimental deployment driver that utilizes Ansible to provision the
node (spec proposed at [0]). We started the work in common Ironic’s Gerrit
project and lately realized that those patches put a lot of unneeded strain
on to the OpenStack CI. There are already about 10 patches refining the
implementation [1]. Each new patch/change-set/rebase triggers a lot of CI
jobs (most are quite heavy ones) that do not test our implementation at all.

We decided to move the development to ironic-staging-drivers, where current
PoC implementation belongs better. Ironic-staging-drivers project has much
less default CI jobs, and we hope there we’ll have better chances to
iterate faster without stomping on Ironic’s CI. Ironic-staging-drivers repo
also looks like a good place to put the corresponding bootstrap image
building code we developed along with the driver implementation.

I have proposed a single commit capturing the current state of our
implementation to Ironic-staging-drivers at [2]. We kindly ask
ironic-staging-drivers project core team to bear with us as we move
forward, and hope for their support. When the driver’s value is proven it
should be re-proposed to the main tree.

For those who expressed interest the code is and will be easily accessible
in the new place.

[0] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/241946
[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:bug/1526308
[2] https://review.openstack.org/325974