[openstack-dev] [Neutron] Elevating context to remove subnets created by admin

Armando M. armamig at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 21:03:49 UTC 2016

On 3 June 2016 at 13:31, Carl Baldwin <carl at ecbaldwin.net> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 3, 2016 at 2:26 PM, Henry Gessau <HenryG at gessau.net> wrote:
> > Darek Smigiel <smigiel.dariusz at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> strange, that owner is not able to just get rid of *his* network and
> subnets.
> >
> > But not all the subnets are his, and consequently the network is
> partially not
> > his.
>
> To me, this is a nonsensical outcome and tells me that subnets
> probably shouldn't really have owners distinct from the network's.

This might turn out to be a PEBCAK, as an admin can create a subnet on
behalf of a tenant by specifying his/her tenant id on the request, and that
might as well be the reason why this was never tackled before and we have a
latent loop in the code.

Having said that I think I lean on avoiding the ransomware situation where
a tenant cannot delete his/her own resources, unless the other tenant frees
up the resource explicitly, but only for situations where the resource is
indeed idle. I would be extra cautious of elevating the context
indiscriminately though.