[openstack-dev] [nova] NUMA, huge pages, and scheduling

Paul Michali pc at michali.net
Fri Jun 3 12:32:17 UTC 2016

Hi!

I've been playing with Liberty code a bit and had some questions that I'm
hoping Nova folks may be able to provide guidance on...

If I set up a flavor with hw:mem_page_size=2048, and I'm creating (Cirros)
VMs with size 1024, will the scheduling use the minimum of the number of
huge pages available and the size requested for the VM, or will it base
scheduling only on the number of huge pages?

It seems to be doing the latter, where I had 1945 huge pages free, and
tried to create another VM (1024) and Nova rejected the request with "no
hosts available".

Is this still the same for Mitaka?

Where could I look in the code to see how the scheduling is determined?

If I use mem_page_size=large (what I originally had), should it evenly
assign huge pages from the available NUMA nodes (there are two in my case)?

It looks like it was assigning all VMs to the same NUMA node (0) in this
case. Is the right way to change to 2048, like I did above?

Again, has this changed at all in Mitaka?

Lastly, I had a case where there was not enough huge pages, so the create
failed and the VM was in ERROR state. It had created and bound a neutron
port.  I then deleted the VM. The VM disappeared from the list of VMs, but
the Neutron port was still there. I don't see anything in the neutron log
to request deleting the port.  Shouldn't the port have been unbound/deleted?

Any thoughts on how to figure out why not?

Thanks in advance!

PCM