[openstack-dev] [keystone][security] Service User Permissions

Shawn McKinney smckinney at symas.com
Thu Jun 2 17:06:39 UTC 2016

> On Jun 2, 2016, at 10:58 AM, Adam Young <ayoung at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> Any senseible RBAC setup would support this, but we are not using a sensible one, we are using a hand rolled one. Replacing everything with Fortress implies a complete rewrite of what we do now.  Nuke it from orbit type stuff.
>
> What I would rather focus on is the splitting of the current policy into two parts:
>
> 1. Scope check done in code
> 2. Role check done in middleware
>
> Role check should be donebased on URL, not on the policy key like identity:create_user
>

> Then, yes, a Fortress style query could be done, or it could be done by asking the service itself.

Mostly in agreement.  I prefer to focus on the model (RBAC) rather than a specific impl like Fortress. That is to say support the model and allow the impl to remain pluggable.  That way you enable many vendors to participate in your ecosystem and more important, one isn’t tied to a specific backend (ldapv3, sql, …)