[openstack-dev] [keystone][security] Service User Permissions

Adam Young ayoung at redhat.com
Thu Jun 2 15:03:21 UTC 2016

On 06/02/2016 01:23 AM, Jamie Lennox wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'd like to bring to the attention of the wider security groups and
> OpenStack users the Service Users Permissions [1] spec currently
> proposed against keystonemiddleware.
>
> To summarize quickly OpenStack has long had the problem of token
> expiry happening in the middle of a long running operation and failing
> service to service requests and there have been a number of ways
> proposed around this including trusts and using the service users to
> perform operations.
>
> Ideally in a big system like this we only want to validate a token and
> policy once on a user's first entry to the system, however all
> services only communicate via the public interfaces so we cannot tell
> at validation time whether this is the first, second, or twentieth
> time we are validating a token. (If we ever do OpenStack 2.0 we should
> change this)

Validating the "token" happens only once.

Validating the "user" permissions can happen multiple times, assuming
that nothing changes, the operation goes through.

The part I have trouble with is not Validating the delegation from the
end user to the service user.  This is a CVE waiting to happen.

A users token should be short (5 minutes) and just kick off the
workflow.  But that should then be used to create a delegation for the
remote service.  THat delegation can last longer than the duration of
the token, to cover the long running tasks, but should not last forever.

While the usual discussion centers aroun Nova based tasks, think about
all the *aaService endpoint that are going to have this same need.  If I
kick off a workflow via Trove or Sahara, that endpoint should only be
able to do what I ask it to do:  spin up the appropriate number of  vms
in the corresponding projects, and so on.

The delegation mechanism needs to be lighter weight than trusts, but
should have the sma constraints (redelegation and so on).

To do all of this right, however, requires a degree of introspection
that we do not have in OpenStack.  Trove needs to ask Nova "I want to do
X, what role do I need?"  and there is no where in the system today that
this information lives.

So, while we could make something that works for service users as the
problem is defined by Nova today, that would be, in a word, bad.  We
need something that works for the larger OpenStack ecosystem, to include
less trusted third party services, and still deal with the long running
tasks.

S4U2Proxy from the Kerberos world is a decent approximation of what we
need.  A user with a service ticket goes to a remote service and askes
for an operation.  That service then gets its own proxy service ticket,
based on its own identity and the service ticket of the requesting
user.  This Proxy  service ticket is then used for operations on behalf
of the real user.  The proxy ticket can have a reduced degree of
authorization, but does not require a deliberate delegation agreement
between each user and the service.