[openstack-dev] [heat][swift] New TC Resolutions on DefCore Tests

Mark Voelker mvoelker at vmware.com
Wed Jun 1 21:13:09 UTC 2016

Hi Everyone,

At today’s DefCore Committee meeting, we discussed a couple of newly-approved TC resolutions and wanted to take a quick moment to make folks aware of them in case they weren’t already.  These new resolutions may impact what capabilities and tests projects ask to have included in future DefCore Guidelines:

2016-05-04 Recommendation on API Proxy Tests for DefCore
https://governance.openstack.org/resolutions/20160504-defcore-proxy-tests.html
https://review.openstack.org/312719

2016-05-04 Recommendation on Location of Tests for DefCore
https://governance.openstack.org/resolutions/20160504-defcore-test-location.html
https://review.openstack.org/312718

The latter resolution is probably one that will be of the most interest to projects who are looking to add new Capabilities to DefCore Guidelines.  RefStack has been able to handle tests that live in Tempest or that live in project trees but are use the Tempest plugin interface for some time now, and the DefCore Committee has generally guided project teams that either was acceptable.  In the new resolution, the TC "encourages the DefCore committee to consider it an indication of future technical direction that we do not want tests outside of the Tempest repository used for trademark enforcement, and that any new or existing tests that cover capabilities they want to consider for trademark enforcement should be placed in Tempest.  Project teams should work with the DefCore committee to move any existing tests that need to move as a result of this policy.”

At present, I don’t think any tests in existing Board-approved DefCore Guidelines will need to move as a result of this resolution—however I am aware of a few teams that were interested in having in-project-tree tests used in the future (hence I’ve added [heat] and [swift] to the subject line).  Hopefully those folks were already aware of the new resolution and are making plans accordingly, but we thought it would be best to send out a quick communiqué just to be sure since this is a change in guidance since the last Summit.  As a reminder, our next round of identifying new candidate Capabilities won’t begin for a couple of months yet [2], so there’s some time for project teams to discuss what (if any) actions they wish to take.

[1] http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/defcore/2016/defcore.2016-06-01-16.00.html
[2] http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/defcore/tree/doc/source/process/2015B.rst#n10

At Your Service,

Mark T. Voelker