[openstack-dev] [Neutron] support of NSH in networking-SFC

Ben Pfaff blp at ovn.org
Wed Jun 1 04:47:34 UTC 2016

On Wed, Jun 01, 2016 at 12:08:23AM +0000, Yang, Yi Y wrote:
> Ben, yes, we submitted nsh support patch set last year, but ovs
> community told me we have to push kernel part into Linux kernel tree,
> we're struggling to do this, but something blocked us from doing this.

It's quite difficult to get patches for a new protocol into the kernel.
You have my sympathy.

> Recently, ovs did some changes in tunnel protocols which requires the
> packet decapsulated by a tunnel must be a Ethernet packet, but Linux
> kernel (net-next) tree accepted VxLAN-gpe patch set from Redhat guy
> (Jiri Benc) which requires the packet decapsulated by VxLAN-gpe port
> must be L3 packet but not L2 Ethernet packet, this blocked us from
> progressing better.
>
> Simon Horman (Netronome guy) has posted a series of patches to remove
> the mandatory requirement from ovs in order that the packet from a
> tunnel can be any packet, but so far we didn't see they are merged.

These are slowly working their way through OVS review, but these also
have a prerequisite on kernel patches, so it's not easy to get them in
either.

> I heard ovs community looks forward to getting nsh patches merged, it
> will be great if ovs guys can help progress this.

I do plan to do my part in review (but much of this is kernel review,
which I'm not really involved in anymore).