[openstack-dev] [TripleO] [diskimage-builder] Howto refactor?

Andre Florath andre at florath.net
Wed Jun 1 04:10:15 UTC 2016

Hello!

Currently I'm working on diskimage-builder.
My long term goal is, to add some functionality to the DIB's block
device layer, like to be able to use multiple partitions, logical
volumes and mount points.
Initially I created a general partitioning element [1] and based on
this an experimental lvm element [2].
During the implementation I realized, that it 'works somehow', but
there are a lot of drawbacks implementing things as separate elements.
Because of this, I started to refactor the block device layer -
i.e. the portions of the DIB where the block devices for the VM image
are created and prepared. [3] [4] [5]  Currently I'm working on the
file system and mount layers.

I have the feeling, that patches from other persons - like [6] or [7]
- are somewhat blocked, because of the uncertainty how to continue
here (please correct me, if I'm wrong).

Because I'm a newbie here, I ask you for help, support and
consultation how to continue. I see the following possibilities:
1. Start a discussion about the requirements
   Problem here: the requirements will not change during the
   refactoring phase - but maybe it's a good starting point.
2. Start a discussion about design
3. Continue the implementation and hope that the whole patch set
   gets accepted some time

But maybe there are more possibilities?

Any comment or review is welcome!

Kind regards

Andreas

P.S.: The technical details are described in the documentation of the
      appropriate patches.

[1] "New Element: partitioning" https://review.openstack.org/#/c/313938/
[2] "New Element: lvm" https://review.openstack.org/#/c/316529/
[3] "Refactor: Infrastructure" https://review.openstack.org/#/c/319591/