[openstack-dev] [tc] persistently single-vendor projects

Steven Dake (stdake) stdake at cisco.com
Sun Jul 31 18:42:40 UTC 2016

On 7/31/16, 11:29 AM, "Doug Hellmann" <doug at doughellmann.com> wrote:

>Excerpts from Steven Dake (stdake)'s message of 2016-07-31 18:17:28 +0000:
>> Kevin,
>>
>> Just assessing your numbers, the team:diverse-affiliation tag covers
>>what
>> is required to maintain that tag.  It covers more then core reviewers -
>> also covers commits and reviews.
>>
>> See:
>>
>>https://github.com/openstack/governance/blob/master/reference/tags/team_d
>>iv
>> erse-affiliation.rst
>>

>> I can tell you from founding 3 projects with the
>>team:diverse-affiliation
>> tag (Heat, Magnum, Kolla) team:deverse-affiliation is a very high bar to
>> meet.  I don't think its wise to have such strict requirements on single
>> vendor projects as those objectively defined in
>>team:diverse-affiliation.
>>
>> But Doug's suggestion of timelines could make sense if the timelines
>>gave
>> plenty of time to meet whatever requirements make sense and the
>> requirements led to some increase in diverse affiliation.
>
>To be clear, I'm suggesting that projects with team:single-vendor be
>given enough time to lose that tag. That does not require them to grow
>diverse enough to get team:diverse-affiliation.
>
>Doug
Doug,

That makes sense and doesn't send the wrong message.  I wasn't trying to
suggest that either; was just pointing out Kevin's numbers are more in
line with diverse-affiliation than single vendor.  My personal thoughts
are single vendor projects are ok in OpenStack if they are undertaking
community-building activities to increase their diversity of contributors.

Regards
-steve