[openstack-dev] [tc] persistently single-vendor projects

Steven Dake (stdake) stdake at cisco.com
Sun Jul 31 18:17:28 UTC 2016

Kevin,

Just assessing your numbers, the team:diverse-affiliation tag covers what
is required to maintain that tag.  It covers more then core reviewers -
also covers commits and reviews.

See:
https://github.com/openstack/governance/blob/master/reference/tags/team_div
erse-affiliation.rst

I can tell you from founding 3 projects with the team:diverse-affiliation
tag (Heat, Magnum, Kolla) team:deverse-affiliation is a very high bar to
meet.  I don't think its wise to have such strict requirements on single
vendor projects as those objectively defined in team:diverse-affiliation.

But Doug's suggestion of timelines could make sense if the timelines gave
plenty of time to meet whatever requirements make sense and the
requirements led to some increase in diverse affiliation.

The 45% core requirement sort of goes against the tag name
"single-vendor".

I know of many single vendor projects that would like to have a diverse
affiliation, strive for it, and actively promote the integration of new
community members into their respective sub-communities.  We don't want to
send these folks the wrong message they aren't welcome.

Regards
-steve