[openstack-dev] Retirement of openstack/cloud-init repository

Morgan Fainberg morgan.fainberg at gmail.com
Sat Jul 30 01:20:45 UTC 2016

On Jul 29, 2016 17:13, "Joshua Harlow" <harlowja at fastmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to start the retirement (well actually it's more of shifting) of
the openstack/cloud-init repository to its new location that *finally*
removes the old bzr version of itself.

> The long story is that the cloud-init folks (myself included) moved the
bzr repository to openstack/cloud-init and cloud-init 2.0 work was started
there while 0.7.x work was still done in bzr.

> The 0.7.x branches of openstack/cloud-init then tried to stay up with the
0.7.x work but constantly feel behind, and 2.0 work has somewhat slowed
down (not entirely stalled just yet) so in order to help out the whole
thing here the canonical folks (mainly scott and friends) have finally
moved the old bzr repository off of bzr and now it's connected into the
launchpad git system and all history has been moved there and such (the 2.0
branch from openstack/cloud-init is also mirrored there) so at this point
there isn't a need to have git and bzr when now one location (and one
location that can please all the folks) exists.

> https://git.launchpad.net/cloud-init
>
> So sometime next week I'm going to start the move of the
openstack/cloud-init (which is outdated) to the attic and direct new people
to the new location (or perhaps we can have infra just point to that in
some kind of repo notes?).

> Anyways, TLDR; git at launchpad for cloud-init, no more bzr or need to
have out of sync ~sort of~ mirror in openstack, win!

> -Josh

As I recall we no longer "move" the git repositories. We simply remove the
permissions/ACLs so new reviews aren't added/approved, and often the repo
is emptied with only a readme pointing to the new location.

--Morgan