[openstack-dev] [sahara][heat][infra] breakage of Sahara gate and images from openstack.org

Luigi Toscano ltoscano at redhat.com
Fri Jul 29 17:12:35 UTC 2016

Hi all,
the Sahara jobs on the gate run the scenario tests (from sahara-tests) using
the fake plugin, so no real Hadoop/Spark/BigData operations are performed, but
other the other expected operations are executed on the image. In order to do
this we used for long time this image:
http://tarballs.openstack.org/heat-test-image/fedora-heat-test-image.qcow2

which was updated early on this Friday (July 29th) from Fedora 22 to Fedora 24
breaking our jobs with some cryptic error, maybe something related to the
repositories:
http://logs.openstack.org/46/335946/12/check/gate-sahara-tests-dsvm-scenario-nova-heat/5eeff52/logs/screen-sahara-eng.txt.gz?level=WARNING

Now we are trying to quickly find another image; the standard Fedora 24 and
CentOS 7 images have no lsb_release (used in Sahara):
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/348849/
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/348894/

but the Ubuntu 16.04 cloud image seems to contain them, so this change *maybe*
will solve the issue (but pending gates right now):
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/348952/

Nevertheless, it would be nice to not rely on something external, so my
questions are:

- could someone from the heat side help investigate whether the image is still
valid?
- would it be possible to use the the nodepool cloud images (qcow2, raw) from
the jobs, if they contains lsb_release (and possibly other tools), and if it
is, how?

Ciao
--
Luigi