[openstack-dev] [nova] [placement] *future* topics in resource providers/placement api

Yingxin Cheng yingxincheng at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 03:09:57 UTC 2016

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the update, it's very clear about what we are going to achieve
in Newton release.

> So we had a discussion in Hillsboro about that with no consensus yet, if
> you remember.
> I heard different opinions on how nova-scheduler would integrate with the
> placement API in Ocata, and I was concerned by this service doing an HTTP
> call to an external API. My idea was rather to integrate the new placement
> tables into the existing HostManager, so that instead of getting a full
> list of compute nodes, we would provide to the filters a list of resource
> providers matching the query.

I agree to use HostManager to encapsulate the implementation about how
scheduler build up host states (or scheduler caches). It is flexible to
achieve multiple strategies, the HostManager may: 1) continue to reload the
full list of host states in the existing filter scheduler; 2) reload all
caches every configured seconds in caching scheduler; 3) get a partial list
pre-filtered by placement engine; 4) switch to an eventually consistent
solution that rarely reload caches and minimizes pressure to database.
Quantitative related filters can be unconfigured if we use the 3rd
HostManager.

-- Yingxin