[openstack-dev] [Kolla] [Fuel] [tc] Looks like Mirantis is getting Fuel CCP (docker/k8s) kicked off

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Thu Jul 28 18:29:18 UTC 2016

On 28/07/16 12:54, Jay Pipes wrote:
> The TC has given guidance on this already:
>
> http://governance.openstack.org/resolutions/20160119-stackforge-retirement.html
>

> "In order to simplify software development lifecycle transitions of
> Unofficial and Official OpenStack projects, all projects developed
> within the OpenStack project infrastructure will be permitted to use the
> “openstack/” namespace. The use of the term “Stackforge” to describe
> unofficial projects should be considered deprecated."

The word "project" has unfortunately had multiple meanings throughout
the history of OpenStack (I think it's something to do with multitenancy
this week, right?), so to be clear: when I say 'project' here I mean in
the sense of 'team'.

So I believe it's quite clear that there are official projects with
official repos and unofficial projects with unofficial repos, and that
all of these repos are hosted in the openstack/* namespace. (Nobody in
the thread has raised the namespacing as an issue AFAICT.)

What's not clear is whether official projects should have unofficial
repos. I submit that if that _were_ clear then this thread would never
have existed and we would all be happier :)

> The Fuel CCP repos are projects that are not official OpenStack projects.

Because of the aforementioned 'project' pun issue there's two ways of
interpreting this. You may be saying that the repos are unofficial repos
within the "Fuel" project (team), in which case the question of whether
official projects should have unofficial repos applies.

Alternatively, you may be saying that the "Fuel CCP" project (team) is
an unofficial project separate from the "Fuel" project (team), with it's
own (naturally unofficial) repos, and that therefore the question of
whether official projects should have unofficial repos is moot. In which
case I think you at least have to forgive people for being confused ;)

> They are in the openstack/ git namespace because they use the common
> infrastructure and there isn't any formal plan to have the repos join
> the "official OpenStack projects" (i.e. the ones listed in the
> projects.yaml file in the openstack/governance repository).
>
> Could they be proposed in the future as official OpenStack projects?
> Maybe. Not sure, and I don't believe it's necessary to decide ahead of
> time.
>
> Please stop using a marketing press release as some indication of what
> the "intent" is for these repos or even that there *is* any intent at
> this point. It's really early on and these repos are intended as a place
> to experiment and innovate. I don't see why there is so much anger about
> that.

My only interest here is to try to help two groups that are clearly not
communicating very well to communicate better. TBH I don't think your
response was as helpful to those ends as it could have been. Can we
start again?

cheers,
Zane.