[openstack-dev] [nova] [placement] unresolved topics in resource providers/placement api

Roman Podoliaka rpodolyaka at mirantis.com
Thu Jul 28 14:47:13 UTC 2016

Hi Chris,

A really good summary, thank you!

On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 4:57 PM, Chris Dent <cdent+os at anticdent.org> wrote:
> It's pretty clear that were going to need at least an interim and
> maybe permanent endpoint that returns a list of candidate target
> resource providers. This is because, at least initially, the
> placement engine will not be able to resolve all requirements down
> to the one single result and additional filtering may be required in
> the caller.
>
> The question is: Will that need for additional filtering always be
> present and if so do we:
>
> * consider that a bad thing that we should strive to fix by
>   expanding the powers and size of the placement engine
> * consider that a good thing that allows the placement engine to be
>   relatively simple and keeps edge-case behaviors being handled
>   elsewhere
>
> If the latter, then we'll have to consider how an allocation/claim
> in a list of potential allocations can be essentially reserved,
> verified, or rejected.

I'd personally prefer the latter. I don't think placement api will be
able to implement all the filters we currently have in
FilterScheduler.

How about we do a query in two steps:

1) take a list of compute nodes (== resource providers) and apply all
the filters which *can not* (or *are not* at some point) be
implemented in placement-api

2) POST a launch request passing the *pre-filtered* list of resource
providers.  placement api will pick one of those RP, *claim* its
resources and return the claim info

A similar approach could probably be used for assigning weights to RPs
when we pass the list of RPs to placement api.

Thanks,
Roman