[openstack-dev] [Kolla] [Fuel] [tc] Looks like Mirantis is getting Fuel CCP (docker/k8s) kicked off

Steven Dake (stdake) stdake at cisco.com
Wed Jul 27 13:02:56 UTC 2016

Michael,

Response inline.

From: Michael Still <mikal at stillhq.com<mailto:mikal at stillhq.com>>
Date: Wednesday, July 27, 2016 at 5:30 AM
Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [Kolla] [Fuel] [tc] Looks like Mirantis is getting Fuel CCP (docker/k8s) kicked off

On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 4:44 PM, Fox, Kevin M <Kevin.Fox at pnnl.gov<mailto:Kevin.Fox at pnnl.gov>> wrote:

[snip]

The issue is, as I see it, a parallel activity to one of the that is currently accepted into the Big Tent, aka Containerized Deployment

[snip]

This seems to be the crux of the matter as best as I can tell. Is it true to say that the concern is that Kolla believes they "own" the containerized deployment space inside the Big Tent?

I can't give you Kevin's thinking on this, but my thinking is that every project has a right to innovate even if it means competing with an established project.  Even if that competition involves a straight up fork or serious copy and paste from the competitive project.    These are permitted things in big tent.  Kolla has been forked a few times with people seeding competitive projects.  The license permits this, and fwiw I don't see any problem with it.  There is nothing more appealing to an engineer then forking a code base for whatever reason.  Hence I disagree about your assertion that competition is the crux of the matter.

It is easier to copy a successful design then to innovate your own the hard way.

I have already stated where the problem is, and I'll state it once again using C&P:

"
Given the strong language around partnership between Intel, Mirantis, and
Google in that press release, and the activity in the review queue (2
pages of outstanding reviews) it seems clear to me that the intent is for
this part of Fuel to participate in the big tent.  The right thing to do
here is for fuel-ccp to submit their repos to TC oversight by adding them
to the official project list.

Fuel requires a mission change, or it may be perceived that Fuel itself
does not adhere to the Four Opens [1] specifically Open Development and
Open Community.
"

[snip]

Michael