[openstack-dev] [release] Independent tag and stable branches

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue Jul 26 18:05:19 UTC 2016

On 2016-07-26 15:51:19 +0200 (+0200), Julien Danjou wrote:
> So I'm about to release Gnocchi 2.2.0. I'd expect to have a stable/2.2
> branch. Is this going to happen? Based on the format of the YAML file,
> I'm not sure this scenario is handled.

Just to be clear, this assumes that Gnocchi's stable branches aren't
subject to any integration testing. Our CI framework's integration
testing branch selection is based on matching up consistent branch
names across projects, with a fallback to "master" if a suitable
match is not found. That means that any integration test jobs using
zuul-cloner (including devstack-gate based jobs) will only ever test
Gnocchi stable/2.2 changes against stable/2.2 branches in other
projects or, lacking that, their master branch.

Right now it looks like you have at least a few integration tests
run against changes to the openstack/gnocchi repo
(gate-gnocchi-dsvm-functional-swift-postgresql,
gate-telemetry-dsvm-integration-gnocchi, et cetera) which would need
to be either kept working against master of all other projects being
tested (including keeping their respective requirements
coinstallable) or else you'll probably want to exclude these jobs
from running against the stable/2.2 branch.

You already have a number of existing stable/x.y branches so I'm
curious how this has worked for you in practice up to this point.
Skimming those branches I think you've simply gotten lucky and
haven't run into the issue yet because most have received no
backports at all and the handful of changes that have been
backported are usually within the first few days to a month after
branching while still fairly close to the master branch state (after
which point those branches have gone stagnant).
--
Jeremy Stanley