[openstack-dev] [all][tc] Equal Chances for all projects (was Plugins for all)

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Tue Jul 26 13:11:14 UTC 2016

On 07/26/2016 08:51 AM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
<snip>

> Given the amount of in-progress work to address the issue you've
> raised, I'm not convinced we need a global rule or policy. All of
> the teams mentioned are working toward the goal of providing stable
> APIs already, and no one seems to be arguing against that goal. The
> teams doing the work are not dragging their feet, and a rule or
> policy wouldn't make the work go any faster.
>
> The directions for cross-project teams were given when the bit tent
> change went into effect were to "support all official teams" and
> definitely not "do the work for all official teams." There was also
> no requirement that the support be exactly equal, and it would be
> a mistake to try to require that because the issue is almost always
> lack of resources and not lack of desire.  Volunteers to contribute
> to the work that's needed will do more to help than a one-size-fits-all
> policy.

Yes, exactly.

Like Ihar said earlier, we get all kinds of breaks across out system all
the time. It's a complex system. If you look hard what you'll notice is
that project interactions where there are team members in common break a
bit less. For instance Grenade breaks Nova less than other projects.
oslo.versionedobjects breaks Nova less than oslo.messaging does. Why?
Because even with stable interfaces and tests, a lot of behavior remains
in flux given the patch rate on all projects. And when people understand
both sides of a problem, they are more likely to anticipate a problem
during review that no tests caught and didn't seem to change an interface.

This isn't a thing that gets fixed with policy. It gets fixed with people.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net