[openstack-dev] [all][tc] Equal Chances for all projects (was Plugins for all)

Luigi Toscano ltoscano at redhat.com
Tue Jul 26 13:02:28 UTC 2016

On Tuesday, 26 July 2016 08:34:27 CEST Doug Hellmann wrote:
> Excerpts from Andrea Frittoli's message of 2016-07-26 10:24:07 +0000:
> >
> > What still requires work in Tempest is the stable interface. Because
> > plugins are not in the Tempest tree, the QA team recommend that they use
> > only tempest stable interfaces. Increasing the surface of stable
> > interfaces
> > is what keeps a lot of the QA folks busy.
> >
> > There's a lot of code in tempest that was written under the assumption
> > that
> > all tests would always live in the tempest tree; evolving that code into a
> > stable publicly consumable interface is simply a lot of work, which the QA
> > team is prioritising based on the input from plugins.
> >
> > Tempest plugins are for all right now. Keystone, Cinder and Neutron
> > already
> > have a plugin today. We don't want tests which are not relevant for
> > integration or defcore to be added to Tempest, and that is true for *all*
> > services.
>
> Thank you for those details, and for confirming that the situation
> is more or less what I expected (it's in progress, creating a stable
> API takes work, etc.). Where would someone who wanted to contribute
> look for details? Are there specs or an etherpad with a task list
> or something like that?
Andrea can share more details as he is driving the Client Manager refactors,
but for example:

http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/qa-specs/specs/tempest/client-manager-refactor.html
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/newton-tempest-service-clients

> And just to satisfy my own curiosity, how does someone looking at the
> internals of tempest know what's on the stable API and what's not
> considered stable? Are the parts of the API documented separately
> somehow or is there a different part of the code tree to look at?

tempest.lib is the stable part (previously split in a separate tempest-lib
repository, which is now deprecated as the code was put back into the main
tempest repository):
http://docs.openstack.org/developer/tempest/overview.html#library

Ciao
--