[openstack-dev] [devstack] libvirt/qemu source install plugin.

Kashyap Chamarthy kchamart at redhat.com
Tue Jul 26 11:13:38 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 02:25:46PM +0200, Markus Zoeller wrote:
> On 20.07.2016 22:38, Mooney, Sean K wrote:
> > Hi
> > I recently had the need to test a feature (vhost-user reconnect)
> > that was commit to the qemu source tree a few weeks ago. As there
> > has been no release since then I needed to build from source so to
> > that end I wrote a small devstack plugin to do just that.
> >
> > I was thinking of opening a review to create a new repo to host the
> > plugin under The openstack namespace
> > (openstack/devstack-plugin-libvirt-qemu) but before I do I wanted to
> > ask if others are interested In a devstack plugin that just compiles
> > and installs qemu and Libvirt?
> >
> > Regards Sean.
> >

> tonby and I try to make the devstack plugin "additional package repos"
> (apr) work [1]. What you did is within the scope of that project. We
> also have an experimental job
> "gate-tempest-dsvm-nova-libvirt-kvm-apr"[2].  The last time I worked
> on this I wasn't able to create installable *.deb packages from
> libvirt + qemu source code. Other work items did then get more
> important and I had to pause the work on that.  I think we can work
> together to combine our efforts there.

NB: There's also in-progress work to allow configuring libvirt / QEMU
from source tar balls, as an external DevStack plugin:

    https://review.openstack.org/#/c/313568/ -- Plugin to setup
    libvirt/QEMU from tar releases

It was originally proposed (now abandoned, in favour of the above) as a
patch to DevStack proper, but was abandoned, as it was suggested to make
it as external plugin:

    https://review.openstack.org/#/c/108714/

--
/kashyap