[openstack-dev] [kolla] Monitoring tooling

Steven Dake (stdake) stdake at cisco.com
Mon Jul 25 19:26:31 UTC 2016

Response inline

On 7/25/16, 11:54 AM, "Matthias Runge" <mrunge at redhat.com> wrote:

>On 25/07/16 09:57, Julien Danjou wrote:
>> On Sun, Jul 24 2016, Mathias Ewald wrote:
>>
>>> 5. InfluxDB to store metrics
>>> 6. Grafana to dashboard metrics
>>
>> Would be nice to leverage scalable and open source solution built your
>> fellow OpenStack community, i.e. Gnocchi and its Grafana support.
>>
>Yes, I'd like to repeat the question here: Is there any reason to
>introduce another quite complex tool instead of something developed,
>supported and used by the OpenStack community?

I'm not sure how to respond to this question since I don't understand all
of the technical details of all these different solutions and what they
do.  I'd ask someone to draw me a picture but that is probably overkill.
When this thread got kicked off, my general thinking was we might end up
with more then one monitoring solution.

I think digging in deeper, there are 3 layers:
Data acquisition layer (e.g. Collectd)
Data storage layer (e.g. Influxdb)
Data modeling layer (e.g. Grafana)

I'm not a big fan of picking winners although there appears to be little
to no competition at the data modeling layer (unless that is what Sensu
does, still learning), so its the other layers that require the ability to
be mixed and matched.  Nobody has said we would reject such changes.
Operators have told me time and time again, flexibility is why Kolla is
chosen against other operational deployment managers (ODMs).  What google
tells me is that the data acquisition layer has 4 or 5 choices and the
data storage layer has 4 or 5 choices.  We enable and disable each service
individually on intention in Kolla.

I see no reason why this work can't be made to operate in that framework.
Someone needs to show up to do the work and both mewald and daviey have.
Their initial solutions don't include gnocchi (Kolla does not yet have
ansible playbooks for gnocci unfortunately).  I never tell people to go
"work on that" (unless someone asks when ramping up) - people choose to
work on what they want in this project.  I'm likely never changing my
perspective on this last point, fwiw :)

If someone does the work for gnocchi implementation, it will be merged
(unless some other core reviewer -2's the work which is unlikely but
possible - my opinion only counts once:)

Regards
-steve