[openstack-dev] [kolla] Monitoring tooling

Steven Dake (stdake) stdake at cisco.com
Fri Jul 22 22:15:14 UTC 2016

Hi folks,

At the midcycle we decided to push off implementing Monitoring until post Newton.  The rationale for this decision was that the core review team has enough on their plates and nobody was super keen to implement any monitoring solution given our other priorities.

Like all good things, communities produce new folks that want to do new things, and Sensu was proposed as Kolla's monitoring solution (atleast the first one).  A developer that has done some good work has shown up to do the job as well :)  I have heard good things about Sensu, minus the fact that it is implemented in Ruby and I fear it may end up causing our gate a lot of hassle.

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/341861/

Anyway I think we can work through the gate problem.

Does anyone have any better suggestion?  I'd like to unblock Dave's work which is blocked on a -2 pending a complete discussion of our monitoring solution.  Note we may end up implementing more than one down the road - Sensu is just where the original interest was.

Please provide feedback, even if you don't have a preference, whether your a core reviewer or not.

My take is we can merge this work in non-prioirty order, and if it makes the end of the cycle fantastic - if not, we can release it in Ocatta.

Regards
-steve