[openstack-dev] [nova][neutron] neutron port duplication

Andrey Volkov avolkov at mirantis.com
Fri Jul 22 13:54:36 UTC 2016

Hi, nova and neutron teams,

While booting new instance nova requests port for that instance in the
neutron.
It's possible to have a situation when neutron doesn't response due timeout
or connection break and nova retries port creation. It definitely results in
ports duplication for instance [1].

To solve this issue different methods can be applied:
- Transactional port creating in neutron (when it's possible to rollback if
the client doesn't accept the answer).
- Idempotent port creation (when the client provides some id and server
does get_or_create on this id).
- Getting port on the client before next retry attempt (idempotent port
creation on the client side).

Questions to community:
- Am I right with my thoughts? Does the problem exist? Maybe there is tool
already can solve it?
- Which method is better to apply to solve the problem if it exists?

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1603909

Andrey Volkov,
Software Engineer, Mirantis, Inc.