[openstack-dev] [ironic][neutron][nova] Sync port state changes.

Vasyl Saienko vsaienko at mirantis.com
Fri Jul 22 10:51:08 UTC 2016

Kevin, thanks for reply,

On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 11:50 AM, Kevin Benton <kevin at benton.pub> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Once you solve the issue of getting the baremetal ports to transition to
> the ACTIVE state, a notification will automatically be emitted to Nova of
> 'network-vif-plugged' with the port ID. Will ironic not have access to that
> event via Nova?
>
> To solve issues of getting the baremetal ports to transition to the ACTIVE
state we should do the following:

   1. Use FLAT network instead of VXLAN for Ironic gate jobs [3].
   2. On Nova side set vnic_type to baremetal for Ironic hypervisor [0].
   3. On Neutron side, perform fake 'baremetal' port binding [2] in case of
   FLAT network.

We need to receive direct notifications from Neutron to Ironic, because
Ironic creates ports in provisioning network by his own.
Nova doesn't know anything about provisioning ports.

If not, Ironic could develop a service plugin that just listens for port
> update events and relays them to Ironic.

I already prepared PoC [4] to Neutron that allows to send notifications to
Ironic on port_update event.

Reference:
[0] https://review.openstack.org/339143
[1] https://review.openstack.org/339129