[openstack-dev] [neutron] place of subport details in the API

Bence Romsics bence.romsics at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 11:56:21 UTC 2016

Hi,

Looking at all the trunk port patches nicely coming along I was
wondering where do we want to see all the subport details in the API?

In the spec a trunk object does not have a 'sub_ports' attribute:

http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/neutron-specs/specs/newton/vlan-aware-vms.html#rest-api-impact

Instead subports can be added/removed/queried via extra resource actions like:

PUT /v2.0/trunks/$trunk_id/add_subports
PUT /v2.0/trunks/$trunk_id/remove_subports
GET /v2.0/trunks/$trunk_id/get_subports

IIRC the reasoning was to give control to the API user if/when he
wants to see the subport details, because that may be huge (for up to
4k subports).

The current patches mostly go the other way, having a sub_ports
attribute on the trunk. Consistent with that
/v2.0/trunks/$trunk_id/get_subports is not implemented.

So which way do we want this?

If we stick to the currently implemented approach I guess we can drop
the get_subports action, right?

Cheers,
Bence Romsics